military and security news
   Home      Woman
Secretary, Ministry of Defence and Urban Development Mr. Gotabaya Rajapaksa declared open the refurbished Kankasanthurai Lighthouse on an invitation extended by the Commander Security Forces-Jaffna, Major General Udaya Perera on 12th October 2014.

Secretary to the President Mr. Lalith Weeratunga was also present at the ceremony.

In accordance with the annals of the Lighthouse history, this has been built in 1892 and it stands proudly with a height of 22m facing the Northern Sea. Surrounded by an ancient fortified wall then, the huge navigation aid was positioned in the close proximity to the KKS harbor.

But later on, glittering Lighthouse went through heavy damages due to frequent terrorist attacks and kept motionless during the dark era of war. Subsequently it was remained unattended for a considerable period of time.

Under the directives of Jaffna Security Forces Commander the dilapidated Lighthouse was restored to its former glory by the 5th Engineer Services Regiment of Sri Lanka Army in collaboration with the Archaeological Department of Sri Lanka.

On the following day of his official visit to the Jaffna Peninsula, Mr. Rajapaksa was accompanied on an inspection visit to several military camps by Maj. General Perera in the company of High-Ranked Military Officials. Accordingly, the event saw Mr. Rajapaksa inspecting living conditions of troops including other amenities of 52 Division, 523 Brigade Headquarters, 11 Vijayaba Infantry Regiment and 23rd Gamunu Watch.

In the meantime, the remnants of historical Jaffna kachcheri building was also came under his inspections.